Submitting Organization: INSPIRE Research Institute for Pre-College Engineering @ Purdue University
Grade Level: 1st Grade
Subject Area: Math
Standards Alignment: Common Core State Standards – Mathematics
1.G.2 Students use algorithms and tangram set pieces (2-D shapes) to create composite shapes. Note: Computer science standards related to computational thinking are also addressed.
Description of the Activity:
- Review what tangrams are and the movements (rotate (turn), flip, and move (slide)) used to position shapes.
- Review the shape names. Students need to also differentiate the triangles by size.
- Have students follow along as you demonstrate how to follow Algorithms 1 and 2. Have them make observations about the results. Point out that you will focus on algorithms that produce the same results.
- Allow students to try Algorithms 3 and 4 one at a time.
- Have students complete the Develop your Own Algorithm sheet.
- Have students state in their own words what they learned.
- Explain in your own words what we learned today.
- Teacher provided resource:
- Tangram sets (free printable tangram sets can be found online)
- Provided resources:
- Develop Your Own Algorithm Master Copy, Algorithms for Lesson 4B (Educator Resource), Tangram Mat Master Copy, Use link for more detailed activity instructions and master copies/resources: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4hn6Pse3qQUbzJDVjRrWXBHLVU
Link to further resources:
Link to FREE integrated STEM + Literacy + Computational Thinking units: www.PictureSTEM.org;
Organization website with additional resources: https://engineering.purdue.edu/INSPIRE