Submitting Organization: Gooru
Grade Levels: 9th Grade – 12th Grade
Subject Area: Math
Standards Alignment: Common Core State Standards
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.HSA.APR.A.1 Understand that polynomials form a system analogous to the integers, namely, they are closed under the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication; add, subtract, and multiply polynomials.
Description of the Activity:
This collection is a brief unit on modeling polynomials and performing mathematical operations on polynomials using Algebra Tiles.
- How can the use of Algebra Tiles be extended to factor polynomials?
- What are zero pairs?
- How can zero pairs help in modeling subtraction of either integers or polynomials?
- Instead of subtracting, how could Algebra Tiles be used?
- How are the shapes of the Algebra Tiles determined?
- How is multiplication of polynomials related to the area of the Algebra Tiles?
Link to further resources: