Submitting Organization: Illustrative Mathematics
Grade Levels: Kindergarten
Subject Area: Math
Standards Alignment: Common Core State Standards – Mathematics
K.OA.A.5, K.OA.A.3 This connects to the kindergarten content standards K.OA.A.3 and K.OA.A.5, about decomposing numbers in more than one way and fluently adding within 5. It also connects to mathematical practice standard MP.8: Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Description of the Activity: The purpose of this task is to help students develop fluency with addition facts to 5. The focus in developing fluency should be more than the internalization of facts but on supporting students’ natural development of number sense so that students are able to solve computations flexibly and efficiently using their understanding of relationships between numbers.
- What do you notice about the numbers in the table?
- Why is it that as one number gets bigger, the other number gets smaller?
- In a group discussion, ask if anybody got 3 yellows. For each student who says yes, ask how many reds they have. Then ask the whole group everyone who has 3 yellows has 2 reds.
- Double sided counters
- Markers that are the same colors as the counters
- Teacher-made “My Book of 5” (see link below for detailed directions)
Link to further resources: